List Price: $ 195.95
Price: [wpramaprice asin="0495102083"]
Develop your own counseling style using Corey’s bestselling THEORY AND PRACTICE OF COUNSELING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY. You will see the major theories of counseling (psychoanalytic, Adlerian, existential, person-centered, Gestalt, reality, behavior, cognitive-behavior, family systems, feminist and, and postmodern approaches) as they are used in practice through a case study focused on one client, “Stan.” The case of “Stan” appears in each chapter so you can see how the theory presented in that chapter informs therapeutic decision-making. “At a Glance” charts pinpoint the major differences between theories in areas such as multicultural focus, basic philosophies, and limitations.
About This Edition
From the Publisher
- An online and DVD program, “Theory in Practice: Counseling Stan,” shows how the author works with Stan from each of the theoretical approaches covered in the book.
- There is a new section on evidence-based practice and the trend toward accountability in counseling practice. Both sides of the controversy surrounding evidence-based practice are highlighted.
- New to the theory chapters in Part 2 is a section on the applications of the concepts and techniques of each model to the practice of group counseling.
- Chapter 15 (“An Integrative Perspective”) is extensively revised and offers:
- New coverage on the movement toward psychotherapy integration
- Expanded coverage of the various routes to integration
- New material on research demonstrating the importance of the therapeutic relationship
- More discussion on the central role of the client in determining therapy outcomes
- The case for practice-based evidence rather than evidence-based practice
- Expanded and updated coverage of the conclusions from the research literature on the effectiveness of therapy.
- Chapter objectives covering key concepts, the therapeutic process, and applications of techniques and procedures are now included.
- The book covers contemporary theories of counseling, including psychoanalytic, Adlerian, existential, person-centered, Gestalt, reality therapy, behavior therapy, cognitive-behavior therapy, feminist therapy, family systems therapy, and post-modern approaches.
- At-a-glance charts pinpoint the major differences between theories in areas such as multicultural focus, basic philosophies, and limitations. The charts also help users identify key differences between the approaches.
- An accompanying User Manual helps readers apply theory to practice through summary charts, open-ended questions and cases, structured exercises, self-inventories, chapter quizzes, and a variety of activities.
- A case study focusing on one client, “Stan,” appears in each chapter, to demonstrate the application of all presented theories and make it easy for users to compare and contrast approaches. Now there is a new online and DVD program (Theory in Practice: Counseling Stan) that complements the “Stan” case study. The DVD shows how Jerry Corey works with Stan from each of the theoretical approaches covered in the book.
- Online technology supplements for both the instructor and users include a downloadable Microsoft PowerPoint® presentation for instructors. Users have access to “Theory in Practice: The Case of Stan” DVD, online quizzing, and links to reliable, appropriate websites.
- The book’s flexible organization allows instructors to cover topics in any order they choose to best meet particular user or course design needs.
- Corey’s discussion of current ethical and professional issues facing counseling and human service professionals prepares users for the realities of practice.
- A framework for creatively synthesizing the therapeutic models, along with step-by-step guidelines, enhance the book’s focus on helping users draw from the various theoretical models to develop a personalized counseling style.
- Two unique concluding chapters show users how to integrate the various theories when working with a client.
- Sections on implications for multicultural practice have been revised in each theory chapter, exploring the question, “What would this theory be like if culture were to be made central to the theory?”
Explore this title’s supplements:
Student Manual for Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy (Eighth Edition)
Theory in Practice: The Case of Stan DVD (Eighth Edition)
The Art of Integrative Counseling (Second Edition)
CD-ROM for Integrative Counseling (First Edition)
Search excerpt and free read online for
Person Centered Theory – YouTube
Person Centered Theory – YouTube Based on the 8th edition text "Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy" by …